Monday, June 9, 2014

Cyber Raping the Mommy Blogger

I had dreams of starting a blog. My FB posts go over well so I thought, "Self, time to branch out." Then Self started reading other posts about autism, being the mother of an autistic or special needs child etc etc. It's not the articles that hurt; most of those articles I understand. It's the comments. Since when does ''freedom of speech'' include terrorizing, insulting and verbally abusing people? Since when is it acceptable and common to tear people down? Do I dare reach out to the ''back in the day'' crowd and cry over the death of social etiquette? Who are these people that, behind the safety of smartphone, tablet or computer, can cyber rape other human beings for entertainment?

I have a son I love more than anything in the world. I would be lost without him. Loving him, loving him through his difficulties, loving him in spite of his challenges... all of this LOVE I have drives me. It drives me to be kinder than I thought I could be. It drives me to listen to others. It drives me to improve. To be a better mom. A better woman. A better human being. It's been quite the journey.

Here I am on this journey, starting for the first time to reach out to others, to share what I've learned by being Mom to a wonderful, amazing, challenging, frustrating, miraculous little boy. And immediately I discover that while I am trying to reach the next level of ''better than yesterday'' these 'cyberbullies' or 'trolls' are out there, tearing us down.

Maybe it's always been like this. I know horrid atrocities have occurred ever since humans began leaving their mark on this planet. Humans have the ability to act and live as animals. But humans have the ability to live like angels; to fight wrong, to help the hurting, to serve the sick, to hug an enemy and to make life and memory something golden and beautiful. I can see it in these other ''mommy blogs''. Women trying to bring sunshine and warm hugs to others. To everyone within shouting distance they scream from their Blogger page, ''this is how I made life better today''.... and then someone finds that post, scrolls down, and with bravado, cyber rapes them. Tells them they should die, be murdered, tied down and tortured, children taken from them etc etc etc. They are emotionally raping these Mommy Bloggers because it's safe and legal for them to do so. That's pretty scary stuff.

Something in me thinks that for every 10 that hate, one will need what I have to say. I took a break while I thought about it. I don't want to be cyber raped, hated or verbally attacked because I have things I want to share and writing them is how I share best. So I'm going to write anyway.

I decided what I already knew; paper beats rock.

So let's roll.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiding behind the mask of anonymity...

    ReplyDelete
  3. People can be such jerks. It's why I shut down my last one. My ex and his people completely misinterpreting. Even some so called friends. I started a new blog, but am often unable to write for the anxiety of the criticism. I will support you in any way I can. I will never cyber rape you. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I wondered what happened to ''circus''... Thanks for the support. And I promise not to cyber rape you either :)

    ReplyDelete